What to Do in Guilin
When you're out on vacation to some exotic land such as Guilin, would you want to restrict yourself to merely touring around the place? Of course not. When you're in a place packed with pristine water bodies, lush mountains, gorgeous caves, and breathtaking views, you'd want to ensure you make the most of it.
Some of the popular and fun ways to do this would be to go on cruises, kayaking, mountain climbing, trekking, biking, or even walking about and taking pictures.
Guilin offers a number of great locations where all of the above mentioned activities can be carried out. For your benefit, here's a detailed list:Read More
Climbing at the Gudong National Park
Those who have a passion for climbing will have a great time at the Gudon National Park -- it has 6 waterfalls ideally suited for climbing. These places have chains built around to help climbers gain support, and for better grip, you can buy special grass shoes that work quite well along the wet slopes.
- Opening Hours: 8:30 - 16:30
- Price Range: Each pair of these shoes costs RMB 5.
- How to get there: The bus “Guilin – Crown Cave” that leaves from the Guilin bus station is ideal. At the earliest, you can find a bus at 7:30 in the morning, and the last departure from Gunayan (the Crown Cave) is at 18:30
Cruise Along the Li River
This could be one of the most relaxing and rewarding experiences you could have in Guilin. The entire route from Guilin to Yangshuo is breathtaking and full of new and beautiful scenery at every turn. The cruise packages normally include lunch and beer in the cost and come with very knowledgeable tour guides who speak English fluently.
In fact, a cruise along this route will allow you a golden opportunity to click hundreds of photos that you will cherish for a long time -- assuming that you are into capturing natural beauty on your camera.
- Opening Hours: Depends on the Cruise you choose, but mostly from 8:00 or later in the morning and the cruise lasts for 4.5 hours after which you're dropped off at Yangshuo.
- Location: the hotel where you're staying will usually have contact details of the cruise operators from which you can choose a good and recommended one.
There are more ways to get to Yangshuo than through a cruise. Once you get there, you could have an amazing bike trip along with a guide who helps you understand everything about the places you ride through.
The Yangshuo market is also very well-known for selling traditional Chinese stuff that is rarely found elsewhere in the whole of Guilin.
If you've traveled to Yangshuo by means other than a cruise, it would be a good idea to cruise back to Guilin from Yangshuo in a local raft -- if you are of the adventurous type.
- Location: An hour's drive away from Guilin
If you're into hiking, it would be a good idea to speak to some of the companies in Guilin that offer such packages along with guides. There are a number of beautiful spots in Guilin where you can go and hike, and the services you buy for this could range from bare bones – hardly any specialized equipment – to a full-fledged and expensive trip. Depending on your taste, you could ask for a suitable package.
- Opening Hours: Depends on the package you purchase and the company you purchase it from
- Location: Depends on the company from whom you purchase the package
Want to give your vocal chords a workout? It doesn't get better than the famous KTV clubs in Guilin. One of the best places in terms of both cost as well as the quality of experience is the Fucheng KTV Club. With 51 different boxes and top-of-the-shelf audio and video technology, it's definitely a one-of-its-kind karaoke club.
- Opening Hours: 17:00 - 02:00 the next day
- Address: Guilin Cultural Palace (No. 7 Building), Guilin
The Yaoshan Natural Scenic Zone has an amazing 18 hole Golf course covering a very large area. This is provided by the Guilin Landscape Golf Club, which is also a holiday resort that aims at combining recreation, sports, and leisure.
- Address: Yangmendian, Chaoyang Township, Guilin, Guangxi Province, China
- Tel: 86-10-8598802
Whether you're looking for some traditional Chinese item to take home as a memorabilia or some day-to-day item for use on the trip, there are a number of places in Guilin where you can get everything you want.
For those who love to bargain, it just doesn't get better than Guilin. The Zhongshan Road is one of the most famous places for shoppers, both local as well as international. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 19:30 - 23:00
- Location: Zhongshan Road
Swimming in Li River
This is not recommended unless you really know what you're doing and are fully prepared to swim in unknown waters. Having said that, the Li River is an amazing place with very clean waters, which can be a very tempting sight for those with a love for water.
- Opening Hours: All day
- Location: Zizhou Dock, towards the south of Jiefang Bridge. This is a good place for beginners; although you should be wary of tour boats
The Theme Park at the Merry-land Resort
Be it Bungee jumping, haunted castle, switchback cars, a forest area, or six other sections each dedicated to a unique theme, they have it all at the Merry-land Resort. The theme park at this resort is comparable to the Disney Land in the US, and is a perfect place for a fun hangout for the entire family.
- Opening Hours: Jan, Feb, Nov, Dec: 09:00 to 17:00
Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Sep, Oct: 09:00 to 17:30
Jul, Aug: 09:00 to 18:00
- Location: Xing'an County, Guilin, Guangxi Autonomous Region
Wu Pai River Rafting
This promises to be one of the most breathtaking and exciting experiences of all time. The Wu Pai River is extremely beautiful and home for the famous International Drifting Festival. The most popular choice for rafting here is to go for the 30 km ride in a white water raft. Remember that this is recommended mostly for the thrill seekers; it is definitely not for the faint of heart.
- Opening Hours: 08:00 - 16:30
- Location: Ziyuan County, 138 km from Guilin
- Price Range: CNY 183 per person