Hangzhou, or ‘God's Country,’ is one of the most popular tourist destinations in China. This is no great surprise considering that it has almost all the important attractions that add up to make a tourist city great and much more. Be it breathtaking natural beauty; hundreds of restaurants serving excellent local as well as international cuisine; a rich history worth learning about; amazing places to hang out at night; excellent transportation infrastructure; multiple markets selling a number of worthwhile items; or activities including golf, biking, cruises, Hangzhou has everything.
One of the most popular destinations in Hangzhou is the West Lake around which you can indulge yourself in a number of activities. For example, it's a great experience walking around the lake on foot, taking a cruise on it, or sipping tea at one of the lakeside tea houses.
Weather/Climate and the Best Time to Visit
Hangzhou has hot summers and very cold winters, therefore neither of these seasons are ideal for visiting this beautiful place. Spring and autumn, on the other hand, offer a great climate for you to remain outdoors and enjoy the scenic beauty of the place.
On average, it rains 155 days a year in Hangzhou, and the rainy season falls around mid-June. Therefore, if your trip happens to be any time around this period - including one or two months before and after - it is very likely that you will experience some rainfall. Therefore, bringing rain gear along is a very good idea.
You have a number of options for traveling to and within Hangzhou. For those who wish to visit by plane, they can do so through the Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport. However, most tourists prefer to enter Hangzhou from Shanghai via car, bus, or railway.
Once you are in the city, biking is definitely the best and the most popular means of getting around. The government also encourages this, which is evident from the fact that Hangzhou has dedicated lanes for bikes on most roads.
The city also has a top-rated taxi service with very comfortable cabs and strict quality control measures implemented on them.
For those looking to travel from Hangzhou to other nearby cities, railway is the best option.
Tips/Good to Know
As with any tourist destination, there are a few things that you should keep in mind when visiting Hangzhou so that you can make the most of your trip and enjoy everything great that this city has to offer.
- The famous International Fireworks show takes place somewhere around mid-October, therefore, if your trip happens to be around that time, you might want to witness this event firsthand
- Hangzhou is famous for its Longjing tea, therefore, remember to visit at least one famous tea house during the trip
- You should try to stay in Hangzhou for at least two days and two nights if you wish to visit all the recommended places and have a great time
- When visiting the Six Harmonies Pagoda, if you go towards the mountain behind the pagoda and climb up the Tower Park, it offers the best possible panoramic view of the Pagoda as well as the Qiangtang River Bridge
- Ensure that you keep all the important information about the different services handy including:
- The emergency numbers for Police (110), Fire (119), Ambulance (120), and Traffic Emergency (122)
- The tourism complaint number, which is 87030886
- The standard voltage in Hangzhou is 220V. Therefore, ensure you have the right adapters for your devices