What to Do at Night in Nanjing
In the past, Nanjing’s nightlife mainly revolved around the Confucius Temple area situated beside the Qinhuai River. The banks of the Qinhuai River at that time were filled with numerous pubs, restaurants, and night markets. Also night boating was possible. With the passing of time this area became a high-class red light district. A good number of these prostitutes were patronised by the rich students who studied at Nanjing University.
Nowadays the scenario has changed a lot but nightlife in Nanjing is still lively. In the last two decades, Nanjing has witnessed the development of many important commercial streets, which have contributed a lot to the nightlife scene. Several shopping malls have evolved in the Hunan Road and Xinjiekou area. Dance clubs, western pubs and restaurants can be seen on both sides of these commercial streets.
Some exciting hotspots for experiencing Nanjing’s nightlife:Read More
Behind the Wall
Behind the Wall is popular for its food and live music. This bar-cum-restaurant will provide you with a Mediterranean/Mexican dining experience. People love to come here to taste burritos, enchiladas and tacos along with a margarita or sangria. Local rock bands perform regularly during the weekends while Spanish guitar features on weeknights.
- Opening Hours: Sun - Sat 11:00 – 01:00, Live Music: 20:00 – 23:00
- Address: 159 Shanghai Road, Nanxiu Cun
Big Scarlet is one of the oldest nightclubs in Nanjing. The magical atmosphere of the dance floor at Big Scarlet pulls the crowd in and the upper floors are always packed.
- Opening Hours: 20:00 – 02:00
- Address: 34 Hubei Road, Fuhou Gang
The pub Blue Sky has a very friendly atmosphere and it’s known for its grills. With free pool and wide-screen TVs showing live sports.
- Opening Hours: 10:30 - 02:00
- Address: 77 Shanghai Road, Guangzhou Road
Finnegan's Wake Irish Bar
This Irish bar has a welcoming atmosphere. While at Finnegan’s, you must try their bangers with mash, burgers, fish and chips, and cottage pie. The bar is conveniently located, with the subway station very near to it.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 - 23:30
- Address: 6 Cinnalane, Zhongshan South Road
- How to get there: Trains available from Sanshan Jie
Fuzimiao Night Market
The Fuzimiao night market is an excellent place for antiques, inexpensive bags and clothes. If you are a pet lover then Fuzimiao night market is a dream place for you. From guinea pigs to baby tortoises, fishes, kittens, puppies, rabbits, mice, just name a few – are all available here.
- Opening Hours: 17:00 - 21:30
- Location: Confucius Temple area
- Address: No.188 Ping Jiang Fu Road
Hunan Lu Street
Conveniently located in the northern part of Nanjing, Hunan Lu Street is a great place for dinner and shopping. Gourmands will enjoy the delicious food items. This is an interesting place to walk around and the street’s night scene is hopping. The Light Art Tunnel on Hunan Lu is a spectacular sight and deserves a visit.
- Location: The northern part of the city, inside Xuanwu Gate.
- How to get there: Bus No. 56 will take you to Hunan Lu. However, an easier way is on the metro until the Xuanwu Lake stop.
Mao Kong is known for its creamy cappuccino, light lunches, and delicious pastries. The tea at Mao Kong also has an excellent flavour. This quiet place near to Nanjing University stays open very late.
- Opening Hours: Sun - Thu 09:00 - 02:00, Fri - Sat 09:00 - 05:00
- Address: 152-1 Shanghai Road, Nanjing
Matai Jie Night Market
As the sun sinks Mata Street comes alive. In the market you will find everything from brocade purses to underwear and it’s an excellent place for people watching. You will find vendors, young couples and people from all walks of life in the Matai Jie Night Market.
- Opening Hours: 17:00 – 21:00
- Location: Mata Jie at Hunan Road, Nanjing University of Technology
Mazzo is an underground nightclub in the Nanjing 1912 area. If you want to experience some of the best music Nanjing has on offer with lots of nighttime fun, then Mazzo is the right place for you. The DJs at Mazzo play a wide range of tunes from hip hop to pop.
- Opening Hours: 08:00 - 03:00
- Location: 52 North Taiping Road, Nanjing 1912
- Tel: +86 25 8463 1912
This is the place to experience vibrant nightlife. Nanjing 1912 is an entertainment zone filled with nightclubs, restaurants and bars, adult spots, music venues and cafes. It is also a place full of famous beauty salons and spas. The beef noodles here found in a restaurant named Bellagio is simply awesome.
- Opening Hours: High Time: 23:00 - 12:00
- Location: Taiping Road, Changjiang Road & Changjiang Hou Street, Nanjing